nmh setup on macos by newbie

From: roadie
Subject: nmh setup on macos by newbie
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 18:18:18 +0100

Hello nmh-workers-list
I hope I can ask for guidance here.

I have installed nmh via brew, it sends mail via msmtp (this one) I can
read my inbox and I search it with mairix. I am absolutely new to this
and will figure it out along the way with your help I hope and I am
happy to be here (and medium smart).

the problem:
inc will not get the mail from my remote host. The error message:

inc: -ERR [SYS/PERM] This account requires an encrypted network
connection to login. Your current connection is vulnerable to villainous
voyeurs. Reconnect using transport layer security, aka SSL/TLS, to
access this account.

the brew recipe says inc was compiled with tls and sasl capability.
I have an .mh_profile :

MH-Profile-Version: 1.0
Local-Mailbox: user <user@example.com>
send: -mts sendmail/pipe -sendmail /usr/local/bin/msmtp
inc: -host example.com -user user@example.com

and a .netrc file :

machine example.com
login user
password Password

How do I tell inc to use encryption/tls/ssl, if that is the problem...

Thank you so much for any help, I hope I did everything right. This is
my first mail to a mailinglist. Have a lovely day.

Torsten