Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

From: Valdis Klētnieks
Subject: Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 11:55:55 -0400

On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 00:13:51 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:
> So this bug was reported yesterday:
>
>       https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?60713

> I am wondering if the simplest solution is to put in isascii() in front
> of those tests in that function.  We only really care about those tests
> returning "true" for ASCII characters.  Thoughts?

It's early morning for me, and I'm still at least a liter of Diet Mountain Dew
away from being sufficiently caffeinated to be positive, but that looks like
"not totally correct, but a lot closer than what we have now".

In particular, that will accept overlong and illegal utf-8 codepoints, and
probably misbehaves in strange and unusual non-ascii/non-utf-8 things
like iso2022-jp.

Personally, I'd just stick the isascii() in there and wait for a bug report
regarding the previous paragraph. :)