Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

From: Robert Elz
Subject: Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:48:22 +0700

    Date:        Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:31:10 +0100
    From:        Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>

  | - mail/inbox/42 was written by us; it's our choice.

For me, it would be written by procmail (mostly) and it will be
unaltered from what was in the relevant message from /var/spool

  | - mail/draft is the process's locale.

Probably, but which process?   How do we know what created it?  There's
no requirement that it be sent any time soon after it was composed - with
just the draft file there's not a lot of leeway, but we support drafts in
a folder, and there there can be lots waiting to be sent.   My drafts/1
file is from 1997 ... drafts/10 is from 2002, and drafts/100 from early April
(this year).   One day I might send some of those messages...

  | - /var/spool/$LOGNAME is in UTF-8.

Says who?   I think for me it is in whatever mixture of char encodings
that were used by the various senders of the messages that are there.

kre