Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

From: Bob Carragher
Subject: Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 23:38:59 -0700

On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 17:47:42 -0400 Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> sez:

> >It's early morning for me, and I'm still at least a liter of Diet Mountain
> >Dew
> >away from being sufficiently caffeinated to be positive, but that looks like
> >"not totally correct, but a lot closer than what we have now".
> >
> >In particular, that will accept overlong and illegal utf-8 codepoints, and
> >probably misbehaves in strange and unusual non-ascii/non-utf-8 things
> >like iso2022-jp.
>
> So, the DETAILS are complicated.

Which is why I have nothing to add to the main thread topic,
other than "sounds good to me!"  B-)

[snip]
>                                                    iso2022-jp is
> SO complicated, I don't think we should even try and I get the sense
> everyone is migrating to UTF-8 for email anyway.

I can add one data point here, though:  I, and the folks I
correspond with in Japanese, made that switch by mid-2017.  Prior
to that, we used iso-2022-jp since it was all-ASCII in the years
before MIME-encoding became widely available.

And I know I was late to this party, and the people I correspond
with in Japanese are more likely to use a major "even for
dummies" type mailer (e.g. Gmail) than NMH.  (Sorry.  B-)
Actually _they_ had made that switch before me, and I kept
"complicating" things (a.k.a. "screwing up the email") by
continuing to use iso-2022-jp.  ^_^;;;

Fortunately, we've always used MIME-encoding in the "real name"
portions of our addresses!

                                Bob