Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 11:56:31 -0500

David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> writes:
> Tom wrote:
>> passes through.  In this case it was smtp.gmail.com that added that;
>> it's not under your control.  You can probably modify the "Hikaru"
>> part, as I believe that just comes from the HELO command your mail
>> client uses.  I'm not sure which part of the nmh configuration
>> that comes from, but it can't be too hard to find.

> It derives from the (hidden/undocumented) client switch to send(1).
> I'll try sending this message with "send -client HiddenHostname".

Ah.  And after digging around a bit, I found this on my own machine:

$ cat /etc/nmh/mts.conf
# nmh mail transport interface customization file.
# Name shown in HELO header:
clientname: sss1.sss.pgh.pa.us

which you can match up against the first Received: line in my own
outgoing mails.  So that's probably a better place to configure
it than messing directly with send(1) switches.

                        regards, tom lane