Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

From: Jerry Heyman
Subject: Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 08:39:18 -0500

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 06:53:34 -0500, David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
> > I do see in the headers of your reply that the first "Received:"
> > header uses "HiddenHostname" ... but also the FQDM(?) of your
> > Verizon connection
>
> FQDN, in this case for a dynamically assigned address so not very useful
> to anyone other than Verizon.  Though they choose to provide a geographic
> hint, and "fios", in the name.
>
> > So, while I could hide the hostname of my laptop, I wouldn't be
> > able to hide its "public"/ISP-assigned name (and IP address).
>
> Right, as Tom noted:

>     passes through.  In this case it was smtp.gmail.com that added that;
>     it's not under your control.  You can probably modify the "Hikaru"

Not sure this is helpful, but for years I've hidden my actual host I send
mail from which is

unix.hobbeshollow.com

by putting the following entries in my mts.conf

localname: hobbeshollow.com
masquerade: draft_from mmailid username_extension

This allows me to send email as jerry@hobbeshollow.com.
hobbeshollow.com is my domain.
I pay a 3rd party to connect for my outbound mail from hobbeshollow.com
a nominal fee annually because ATT turned off that capability about 18
months ago.

> David
>
> https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2021-03/msg00012.html

jerry
--
     // Jerry Heyman               | The first law of economics is scarcity of
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | resources.  First law of politics, ignore