Re: [Nmh-workers] OpenBSD added to the buildbot cluster

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] OpenBSD added to the buildbot cluster
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:54:22 -0500

Some meta-commentary regarding this whole thing:

- I've already explained my objection to the strl*() functions, so I won't
  repeat them again.

- I'm personally torn between Robert & Ingo's positions: I don't think
  sprinkling strlcpy() everywhere is the right answer, but I can't defend
  the MH codebase; I bet a ton of those strcpy()s are just terrible.  But
  many times it ended up not being a huge problem in practice, so I don't
  think we're terrible right now.

- Really, this overuse of strcpy/strcat results from our usage of fixed
  sized buffers.  We should be switching to dynamically-allocated strings
  whenever possible.  Fixing that means dealing with idea of who actually
  owns a particular memory object and is responsible for freeing it?
  I've been fixing up APIs I'm involved with, but it's slow going.  I'd
  rather address these problems this way rather than do a whole audit
  for every instance of strcpy().