Re: [Nmh-workers] Pasing stdin to "inc -file" ?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Pasing stdin to "inc -file" ?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:40:44 -0500

>And the exact gotcha involved, from 'nman rcvstore':
>
>BUGS
>       If you use the "Unseen-Sequence" profile entry, rcvstore could try to
> update the context while another
>       nmh  process is also trying to do so.  This can cause the context to
> become corrupted.  To avoid this,
>       do not use rcvstore if you use the "Unseen-Sequence" profile entry.
>
>What it doesn't mention is that the resulting train wreck can mangle other
>sequences in the .mh_seq file as well.  Also, should we change that text
>to say "do not use rcvstore without an external locking mechanism'?  It's
>perfectly save to use it from procmail with unseen sequences as long as
>procmail does the locking for you, so there's no need to scare off users.

I don't think that's an issue anymore.

Ok, yeah, that's what I thought.  Sequence files are opened with
lkfopen() in sbr/seq_save.c.  Looks like that is an nmh thing; it's not
part of MH.  And it's been that way since ... forever, it seems.  It
predates us putting nmh into CVS, so I guess Richard Coleman did that.
Looking at things ... I guess he really rototilled the sequence code.
But it looks like the man page was never updated.