Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld

From: P Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 17:28:04 -0800

Agreed. Also get rid of the vax string search. String.h should have something you can use. No modern compiler is generating special instructions for the string search we're doing in getfld now. We have a decent shot at compiler awareness of what we're doing if we call ANSI and posix apis instead of the vax specific ones from days of yore.

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>Yes, but by "different purposes" I was thinking how scan
digs back into the IO buffers. Though maybe that won't
be necessary any more.

I had forgotten about that. Okay, looking at that now .... alright,
that's not as nasty as I thought. All it does is to use the output
stdio buffer as the input buffer for m_getfld() so we can avoid an extra
copy. Can we all agree that's not necessary anymore, and the resulting
performance gain is probably miniscule? If so, I can simply get rid of
that garbage now.

--Ken

Nmh-workers mailing list
address@hidden