Re: [Nmh-workers] The attach feature

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] The attach feature
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:01:30 -0400

>I don't remember all the places I looked and things I tried, nor do I remember
>the order in which I did them. But here are some of the things I tried:
>
>       man attach
>       man -k attach
>       man whatnow (It told me the feature existed, but not much more)
>       man nmh (to see if there was a relevant man page)
>       man send (lots of hits for "attach" but nothing about the attach
> command)

So I guess this is partially the fault of the way nmh works; whatnow does
some things (and implements the "attach" command) but the real mechanics
are handled by "send".  Sure, once you KNOW that what attach does is add
a special header, the information in the send man page makes more sense.

>In my humble (but correct :-) opinion there should be an attach
>man page. It would, at the very least give the basic idea, (attach
>generates certain headers which send understands), the syntax of the
>command, and pointers to other man pages.

See, I'm not so sure about that.  It's not a new command that happens
at the shell prompt; I think more information about it belongs in the
whatnow man page.  I know there's a man page for "send", but that's because
it's a command.

But I do appreciate the feedback; let me offer a counter-suggestion.  How
about some expansion of the "attach" command in whatnow(1) and a pointer
to send(1), and a back-pointer in send(1) to whatnow(1).  And maybe
some clarification in send(1) as well.