[Nmh-workers] The attach feature

From: norm
Subject: [Nmh-workers] The attach feature
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:07:15 -0700

The attach feature is really great! Thank you very much!!

I can't find any documentation for it, (./docs/README-ATTACHMENTS is for a much
older nmh version, when the attach feature was not nearly as nice as it is now).
As near as I can tell:

  If I give it an extension it doesn't recognize, it is accepted anyway.

  It doesn't use /etc/mime.types. At least, it doesn't change the access time.
  Nor do send or post.

  At send time, if a file extension is not recognized, it is regarded as having
  mime type, .txt or  .octet-stream, depending on the content of the file -- I
  suppose ASCI or not.

        Is there some way I can find out what mime types are recognized? The
        only way I know how to tell is to send the message.

  Blanks can be escaped with back slashes. (I don't create files with blanks in
  their names, but I sometimes work with people who do).

        What other characters need to be escaped? I suppose back slashes
        themselves do.

Again, thank you very much!

    Norman Shapiro