nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Help comments, man page, wish list and other things

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Help comments, man page, wish list and other things
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:01:47 -0400

Ken Tyler wrote:

<snip>

> Now the wish list, one thing that's always been a bit annoying is
> copying text to the cut buffer. It requires cut and then paste to
> restore when logically a single key should copy the text to the cut
> buffer without cutting it. I know keys are in short supply and that's
> what pico does but I've never liked it.

I've just added this to current CVS.  The only keystroke left that
seemed intuitive at all was Meta-^ (due to Ctrl-^'s association with
marking and hence cut and paste), so it uses that.  It needs testing,
though.

> A couple of other things for the wish list, columnar cut and paste,

It might be useful under some circumstances, but I have no idea how to
implement it at the moment.  The last person to bring this feature up
was Adam Rogoyski almost 5 years ago, and no one could figure it out
then either.  Maybe after the rewrite that should become 1.6.

> multiple levels of undo/redo.

Available in the rewrite that should become 1.6.  Search the nano-devel
archives for "About the nano rewrite".

<snip>

> One last thing about "^O" is that it will create an empty file if
> saving an empty buffer whereas "^X" does that only if the file
> previously existed, if the file didn't exist it won't be created. Is
> this the intended behaviour of "^O" ?

Yes, both because Pico does it too and because a file that hasn't been
modified (which includes a non-existent file) shouldn't be marked as
such.