nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Help comments, man page, wish list and other things

From: Ken Tyler
Subject: [Nano-devel] Help comments, man page, wish list and other things
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:28:06 +1000 (EST)

Of more concern to me than the order of the help text is the descriptions of keys such as

   ^O      (F3)            Write the current file to disk
   ^K      (F9)            Cut the current line and store it in the cutbuffer

are only half the story.

"^O" not only writes current file to disk, it also writes the marked text if text is marked. Likewise "^K" either cuts the current line or cuts to end of line depending on "M-K" toggle and it also cuts marked text.

These variations are not mentioned in the "^G" help or on the man page, I don't appear to have nano info installed so I don't know about that. I realise "^G" can't tell every aspect of nano but some explanation of the variations in the key actions should be mentioned possibly after the key lists.

Pico's running mate pine has quite detailed context dependent help so maybe "^G" help should present a lot more info to the user.

Now the wish list, one thing that's always been a bit annoying is copying text to the cut buffer. It requires cut and then paste to restore when logically a single key should copy the text to the cut buffer without cutting it. I know keys are in short supply and that's what pico does but I've never liked it.

A couple of other things for the wish list, columnar cut and paste, multiple levels of undo/redo. I did look at column cut and paste a while ago but it looked a bit tricky. No clue at all on how to implement undo/redo.

One last thing about "^O" is that it will create an empty file if saving an empty buffer whereas "^X" does that only if the file previously existed, if the file didn't exist it won't be created. Is this the intended behaviour of "^O" ?

Ken.