myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Taverna and myExperiment slogans for ISMB Pos

From: Andrea Wiggins
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Taverna and myExperiment slogans for ISMB Poster
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:53:41 -0400

That's a good one, very apropos! Except for the fact that we can version workflows. ;-)

There are four poems included in the Carmina Burana's "In Taberna" section, one of which speaks directly about the taverna. The "In taberna quando sumus (When we are in the tavern)" portion could be creatively reinterpreted as a caveat for users; it starts off something like this:

In taberna quando sumus When we are in the tavern,
non curamus quid sit humus, we do not think how we will go to dust,
sed ad ludum properamus, but we hurry to gamble,
cui semper insudamus. which always makes us sweat.
Quid agatur in taberna What happens in the tavern,
ubi nummus est pincerna, where money is host,
hoc est opus ut queratur, you may well ask,
si quid loquar, audiatur. and hear what I say.

I don't know about anyone else, but working with Taverna certainly requires at least as much perspiration as inspiration from me, and it often seems like a bit of a gambling is involved in getting a new workflow up and running. A good translation of the full verse is at http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~rejs/carmlyr.html and the selection is #14.

</creative reinterpretation>

Cheers,

Andrea