myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Taverna and myExperiment slogans for ISMB Pos

From: Andrea Wiggins
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Taverna and myExperiment slogans for ISMB Poster
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:11:10 -0400

IMHO, slogans are helpful as a conversation starter, and help people remember the discussion later; the myExperiment slogan is really quite good in that respect. Text on posters is vastly overrated, as most people aren't actually willing to read anything smaller than 48 pt, and it's usually a discussion prompt more than a standalone information source, depending on the venue. My primary criticism of about 80% of posters is "too many words", particularly if they are presented during a reception.

Why is it called Taverna, anyway? The association that the name brings to mind for me is from the "In Taberna" section from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, which has been called "the greatest drinking song in the world". It's also the dullest part of the composition for female vocalists, who are largely excluded from the drinking songs. Unless they sing tenor, of course, which choral directors rarely permit.

Perhaps Taverna is the tap from which the experimental work flows? If something better occurs to me, I'll pass it on - what's your deadline?

Andrea