myexperiment-discuss

Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] URLs and empty workflows

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] URLs and empty workflows
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:56:46 +0100

I thought about that. So, I was thinking of a different mechanism using some sort of id or name, and then a version number after that.
E.g.

   http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/paul_fisher/qtl_kegg/3

where the persons name is included in the url, then a short name for the url, then the version number. I don't know if this is sensible or not. I do know it would be a re-write of a lot of code though, and would piss a lot of people off.

From my view though, it would let me know who's the workflow was, the name of the workflow, and the version.

Just a thought. Thanks for the response.

Paul.

Alan Williams wrote:
Paul Fisher wrote:
Hello,

I'm just looking around on myepxeriment and thought about the urls of workflows. The numbering appears to start from 1, then goes up as a new workflow is added. Is that correct? I then thought I would try and start at 1 and go up progressively. I hit number 2, however, and found nothing - http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/2

Would this be a case of the workflow being deleted?
If so, is it possible/wise to place a new workflow into the slot of a now empty/deleted workflow?

It's probably not a good idea to put a new workflow there. Any links to the old workflow would give the new one. Imagine your paper cites Katy's wonderful workflow but it is now replaced with my crappy one. Or, if your workflow included Katy's but now pulled in mine.

It's better for myExperiment to say the workflow has gone missing rather than "lie" when asked for it.

regards,
Paul.

Alan