Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:54:51 +0000

Conrad Steenberg <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Attributes can be used for these kinds of "sticky" tags, except
> there are no selectors based on attributes (I might have missed it
> in the documentation though :-) Adding attribute selectors might be
> a useful for other things too, I think.
>
> For non-sticky tags, it might be useful to tag a certain part of a
> tree, e.g. the lua or Botan libraries in the net.venge.monotone
> branch.  Retrieving all the changes made to the 'imported' library
> to propagate to the upstream maintainer would then become as simple
> as e.g.  monotone diff t:botan_1_4_9

I don't think "selector" is the right thing to hang this off:
selectors are for selecting revisions.

It's possible to do diff on a subtree ("monotone diff botan", for
example), and maybe something tied into attributes would be useful.
It does feel a potentially powerful feature: you could mark all the
Makefiles, and then find out which ones had been modified by OpenSSL's
weird build system; you could mark all the documentation, etc.

(The basic feature was called "restrictions", I think; I forget
whether that carried over to the documentation or anything.)

[...]