Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file

From: jack-monotone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:53:38 -0800

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 02:30:14PM -0800, Conrad Steenberg wrote:

> I'm trying to tag just one file (or group of files, where the group is
> smaller than the entire tree). Is that possible?

As stated earlier, tags only apply to revisions.

There may come a time when you only want to deliver a "view" of a branch. CVS
style tags provide a nice mechanism for doing this.

The only satisfying solution that I've found to this problem using monotone is
to create a new branch, 'a.b.c.delivery' from 'a.b.c'. Drop all of the files on
a.b.c.delivery that are not to be delivered.

Then you can propagate changes from a.b.c to a.b.c.delivery as needed. Just be
careful not to propagate back (or merge) from the a.b.c.delivery to a.b.c, or
the drops will come back to haunt you.

--Jack

--
Jack (John) Cummings                           http://mudshark.org/
PGP fingerprint: 0774 D073 E386 B70B 6B16  2D2B 1DD8 F8B0 CCF0 FAEE