Re: [Monotone-devel] More authentication questions

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] More authentication questions
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:39:22 -0700

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 02:30:08PM -0700, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Reading the doc, it's not clear to me when authentication is done.
>
> Is it done on a per-connection basis at push/pull time?  Or is it done
> on a per-revision basis after the connection has been established?  Or
> something else?

Netsync (push, pull, sync) does per-connection authentication, to
decide whether you are allowed to read information stored in a server,
or put new information into a server for others to read.

Once you have received information, there is a second question, of
whether you trust it or not.  This is where finer-grained permissions
come in, and has nothing to do with netsync.  At the moment, the only
mechanism to state your preferences here is with the
get_revision_cert_trust hook, which is useful but somewhat clunky.
It's also only the first pass design; in the future we plan to add a
more sophisticated mechanism, that supports sharing permission
settings between users.

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."