[Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple repositories in one server

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple repositories in one server
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:30:59 +0100

"Daniel M. German" <address@hidden> writes:

> When working in server mode, monotone is only aware of one
> repository. What if I want to serve several repositories, one for
> each project? I guess the answer would be to set up a different
> server in a different port for each repository. But that is
> difficult to manage (I'll have to make sure that the same port is
> used every time for the same project).
>
> Would it be possible to serve different repositories with a single
> server?

I don't think it is.  Why not use one server (with one repository),
and stick all the data from multiple repositories into it?

You can still keep those separate repositories with their individual
projects, but it doesn't seem too horrible to have a single server
that collects all the projects purely for the purpose of acting as a
server.

> Also, is it possible to restrict connections to a given set of hosts,
> potentially only 127.0.0.1?

I don't think so.  Operating systems often have suitable network
features to do that, and when they don't there are often addons that
can do it.  I guess it would be straightforward enough to add to
monotone, but I'm not sure it would be that valuable, would it?

I'm not sure why you'd want a server that only listened on 127.0.0.1,
but possibly that's just lack of imagination on my part?

[...]