Re: [Monotone-devel] Name of the MT directory

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Name of the MT directory
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:33:11 -0600

On 4/13/05, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:25:30AM -0600, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > Is there a hook or configuration option to specify the name of the MT
> > directory? I'd prefer to name it '.mt'.
>
> There is no such option.  Adding one would be somewhat questionable;
> the problem is that monotone knows the name of its book keeping dir,
> and that it is impossible to commit files inside it.  (This is pretty
> important; imagine the havoc if someone committed a file named
> "MT/revision"...)  But monotone can't know every possible book keeping
> dir users might prefer, so normal monotone lets people name things
> ".mt", and your monotone would let people name things "MT"; by
> changing yours locally, you're opening yourself up to the possibility
> of creating histories that other users cannot read, or of other users
> creating histories that you cannot read.
>
> -- Nathaniel

Interesting point. If I choose to name my bookkeeping directory .mt,
monotone should still refuse to allow me to name a file MT/something
to avoid creating histories others cannot read. As for others creating
histories I cannot read, I'd say I'm taking my chances and my lumps if
a conflict does occur. It seems unlikely that one day I'll run into a
file named .mt in a Monotone history, but if that does happen at some
time, I'll check out that project using a bookkeeping directory named
MT instead.

Cheers,
Shaun