Re: [Monotone-devel] Name of the MT directory

From: Henrik Holmboe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Name of the MT directory
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:25:53 +0200

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:25:30AM -0600, Shaun Jackman wrote:
>> Is there a hook or configuration option to specify the name of the MT
>> directory? I'd prefer to name it '.mt'.
>
>There is no such option.  Adding one would be somewhat questionable;
>the problem is that monotone knows the name of its book keeping dir,
>and that it is impossible to commit files inside it.  (This is pretty
>important; imagine the havoc if someone committed a file named
>"MT/revision"...)  But monotone can't know every possible book keeping
>dir users might prefer, so normal monotone lets people name things
>".mt", and your monotone would let people name things "MT"; by
>changing yours locally, you're opening yourself up to the possibility
>of creating histories that other users cannot read, or of other users
>creating histories that you cannot read.

What about a list of allowed variants? "MT", ".mt" and so on.

That would also solve bug #8923. I reported that bug, and it has been
up for discussion and the consensus was that there is little reason to
work around that specific "bug". Though it would be a good side-effect
of what Shaun asks for.

.h

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=8923>

--