Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: news and survey

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: news and survey
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:47:37 -0600

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:58:21AM -0600, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

OK see now I see. You are the first person (when I have suggested scons to any one) to give solid reasons for not using it.

While I think it was very nice of Graydon to elaborate,
the point and the solidity of the reasons were quite obvious before.

You mind if I forward this email to the scons people? But it's still like you said. You don't want to write all the tools, I understand. Thanks for not just trying to flame me or something.

Actually I have felt your "scons plug" was inappropriate in this thread,
and this can even damage SCons reputation.

Just my 0.02 cent,
        Bernhard

Although the way Graydon describes scons makes it seem incapable, also notice how he describes no other tools of living up to his ideal. Scons is a very capable build system and could be used as a platform to *build* the system Graydon seeks (scons is very easily extensible with custom builders and such things, but it would involve effort that Graydon clearly does not desire to exert). I think it would be good for the scons people to get some feedback on reasons people decided not to use their tools.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com