[Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:57:42 -0400

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:42:33 -0600, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:

"it" being the manifest or the second cert? I'm pretty sure the manifest will
be synced
but it sounds like the cert will too which is probably undesireable.

the second cert.

so are you going back to allowing commits (and creating new revisions) that
don't include
any manifest changes then? ;)

yes. revisions are explicitly constructed to enable this (perhaps "solely")

I think I've noticed that if I commit a new branch directly to the database
file that a
server is serving from it is not visible to someone pulling from that server
until the
server is restarted. Are the merkle trees built in the database when the server
starts or
when a new connection opens?

when the server starts, or when it receives input via netsync. a normal commit
does not (currently) update the merkle trie. if we keep the tries on disk, it
ought to; but then if I'm going to change it to just build the tries in memory
it ought not to.

suppose we have A -> B -> C in net.venge.monotone
             and A -> X -> Y -> Z in local.monotone.foo

suppose I then cert Z into net.venge.monotone which leaves net.venge.monotone
not merged
and with 2 heads C and Z

will trying to merge resort to the 2 way merge because the ancestry of Z is not
part of
the net.venge.monotone branch?

when you merge, since you have an ancestry path, you will get a 3-way merge.

if we then sync and you don't get X and Y does this do anything particularly
nasty to the
ancestry graph?

since I will not have the ancestry path, I will not be able to do a 3-way
merge. unless I teach netsync to try to load complete revision history
during a sync, which I could do. otherwise you have to do the merge if
you want the 3-way version. I can still do the 2-way version, of course.

-graydon