[Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:19:31 +0200 (CEST)

[resend]

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:02:34 -0400, "graydon hoare"
<address@hidden> said:

graydon> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:50:37 +0200 (CEST), Richard Levitte - VMS
Whacker <address@hidden> wrote:
graydon>
graydon> > I think that what I find most disturbing is that it thinks two
commits
graydon> > *on* *the* *same* *file* is really one commit when the time
difference
graydon> > is less than cvs_window.  I have a very hard time understanding how
graydon> > two commits on the same file can ever be regarded as one commit.
graydon>
graydon> oh, well if the commits have the same author and changelog,
graydon> it'll probably do that; merely because it is not thinking
graydon> about the structure of the file anymore by the time it gets
graydon> to aggregating commits. it's thinking about whole-tree edits
graydon> at that point, and it identifies such edits by
graydon> <author,changelog,time> triples. that's probably a bug.

Basically, it all depends on what those committing to the CVS
repository wanted to express.

It's possible they really wanted two separate commits for a reasons
(for example the possibility to pick out specific changes, even if
they are made for similar reasons, kind of like a tw-stage change).
In that case, I'd regard it as a bug.

It's also possible that a specific change is an add-on to an already
committed changeset, to fix a bug that was forgotten or something like
that.  In that case, I'd regard it as a cleanup rather than a bug.

All things considered, I'd be happy with whatever you decide (it takes
some bending my mind to get to the "cleanup" idea, and I suspect other
people that come from the CVS world might think in similar ways), as
long as it's documented.  There could be a small blurb in the section
about cvs_import that explains what happens.

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/