[Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:29:01 -0400

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:40:23 +0200 (CEST), Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
<address@hidden> wrote:

I just took a look at that branch.  Quite a lot of changes (I noticed
you're dropping the schema version in that branch, BTW.  Is that
intentional?).

yeah. we actually haven't used the schema_version table since very early
versions; instead we extract, normalize and hash the literal SQL which
makes up the current table set, directly from the database, and use that
as a key into the schema migration tables.

that way we don't need to worry about the value in schema_version being
wrong. the hashed sql approach has worked for several schema migrations
already; I was just cleaning up old junk while mucking about in schema.sql.

Is it worth it ti try it out and adapt whatever
changes I do to that branch, or should I wait?

don't adapt to the code which is there at the moment, no. it's still
churning a fair bit (i.e. what's on my disk is quite different) I'll
make some noise here when there is a better sense of the branch
settling down.

-graydon