monit-dev

Re: [Richard Schwaninger <address@hidden>] monit for AIX

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [Richard Schwaninger <address@hidden>] monit for AIX
Date: 03 Mar 2003 18:12:11 +0100

Oliver Jehle <address@hidden> writes:

> Problem is, oracle has an own process called tnslsnr who spawns the
> dedicated servers for users ..... there is a middle tier in network
> communcations like sql-net of sybase ....

I see, but surly there must be ports to check? Anyhow, it seems that
the tnslsnr process then is the one to monitor and do port checking
against? (It has been many years since I worked with Oracle and I have
forgotten most of it. I'm more a Sybase man myself, but unfortunately
it has been a few years since I worked with Sybase also, now)

> but if you work with the commandline utilities, you can proper check the
> state.Make first a "tnsping" to check if oracle network listener
> response, and a simple select like "select sysdate from dual " to get
> shure the database is responding..

Yep, but psql or what the commandline utility is called for connecting
to an Oracle server for query will use tcp/ip and connect to a port.
What I'm trying to say is that monit can connect to this port as well
to check that the server is up and running and if you care to
implement the text based protocol used for a query connect (on sybase
I think this protocol is called tds) you can even implement a protocol
check like we have done for ftp, http, nntp and so on.

> but i will try to send you a start/stop  wrapper for different
> proposes...
>
> not only for oracle......  writing the process id to a rc file to check
> and implements periodic checks for the resource....  if not available,
> go away and let monit do restart...
>
> i'm very busy this week, because we celebrate
> "Fasnacht/Fasching/Karneval" and so, i have to spent more time there
> with drinking beer than in the office :-)

Of course! It's important to prioritize the essential stuff :-)

> but i will try to send a sample next week... (after learning
> perl-syntax)...

I used to write Perl programs a couple of years ago and I do not think
I have forgotten everything and I'll be happy to check it out. I have
a feeling that Rory also is pretty good with Perl, so together we can
probably cook up a decent script, or what do you think Rory?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland