monit-dev

Re: [Richard Schwaninger <address@hidden>] monit for AIX

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [Richard Schwaninger <address@hidden>] monit for AIX
Date: 03 Mar 2003 08:17:48 +0100

Oliver Jehle <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Richard....
>
> i know the problem with oracle... but you can do a very simple thing as
> a workaround....
>
> write a program (perl,shell or whatelse)... which runs in a loop calling
> your database..... when the database isn't reachable, then you leave the
> loop and give up your process-id. so you can use the rc checking...
>
> i think, its a not "very nice" solution, but its the only way to be 100%
> shure, that oracle works.... you cannot check the processes, because i
> often saw(oracle versios 7 and 8) , that the processes are up, but the
> database isn't responding.

That was clever Oliver! Richard Schwaninger is not subscribed to the
monit mailing list and I'm sure he will appreciate if you sent this
mail to him.

> For ALL:
>
> if monit has a plugin interface, where you can add (for example with a
> register api) a external check, you can also write external resource
> checks --> if i remember, Martin is doing a resource check... when its
> dynamic and loadable, then any kinds of check could be performed...

We have decided against implementing a pluggin architecture (look in
the mail archive http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/monit-general/ to
view the discussion).

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland