monit-dev

Re: [Richard Schwaninger <address@hidden>] monit for AIX

From: Oliver Jehle
Subject: Re: [Richard Schwaninger <address@hidden>] monit for AIX
Date: 03 Mar 2003 08:39:28 +0100

Hi Jan-Henrik,

thats not nice to read (about the plugins), but can be accepted as it
is... b

i think in corner cases like the problem of Richard with oracle,  could
be done in intelligent start script, forking the process to be
monitored....  and then check the state ... .

but.....

i'm wondering a little bit about the discussion... because the checks
for example http are implemented, but implementing a interface for
"external" resource check not... ??? i know about the problems in
forking external checks, timeouting , crashing etc...

but if someone is interested in it, it should be possible to add the
resource check with a proper api, instead of self hacking monit for his
own needs... as i remember, i've also spend a lot of time investigate
the internal working of monit and understand, how to solve some of my
problems / ideas...

As i know from my practice... normaly, cluster - solution providers
don't get any warranty for any add-ons added to the system or only
"certified" plugins are accepted... like always, the release of the
plugin you need is not officialy supported..

so i think, the desicion, use it or not... is in the responsibility of
the user of the system.

i tend to restart the discussion of a general api.... or the possibilty
to add somethink, without touching the core of monit, which should stay
as the others also mentioned, clean and proper, not blown up with
checking code...

there must be the break between monit development and the checks, and it
should be done in a api - layer...

but this is only my opinion..