Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE linux target

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE linux target
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 20:15:22 +1100

Hi,

> On 3 Nov 2015, at 16:35, Deividas Kazlauskas <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> So I saw this project and tried it, it seems like it is very easy to
> compile stuff for windows with this.

Good to hear.

> I tried to hack it a little bit
> (added x86_64-pc-linux-gnu to MXE_TARGETS and set to that target) to
> compile binaries for linux instead, because, if it compiles for other
> system so easily how can it be hard to compile for host? 90% of the
> stuff seems to just build out of the box, but there are some errors and
> therefore I cannot build.

What sort of errors are you seeing and which packages are you building?
There are some windows-specific patches and hard-coded things like
`set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Windows)` that will likely cause issues. Many
packages invoke prefixed tools so there would need to be symlinks.

> I want to ask, how correctly should I
> configure mxe to build for the linux host? I know this is not supported
> but I don't think it should be that hard because we build from source
> anyway.

We will likely support linux targets in the (distant?) future, though
that would also involve building glibc. In the mean time, doing a `native`
build is somewhat possible doing it as you did by setting MXE_TARGETS. You
could also modify MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS and remove `—host=` to stop
autotools looking for prefixed versions of tools.