Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Request for OSS support

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Request for OSS support
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:39:14 +1100

On 13/02/2013, at 5:24 PM, Enoch <address@hidden> wrote:

Have a look at recent discussion at
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cad.geda.user/41063> "[geda-user]
crosscompile for windows with minipack" and the inadequacy of minipack
would become apparent.

DJ Delorie, a famous OSS guy, auto builds at
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/geda-windows/ but it is always trailing after
the Linux offering.

Also, I don't think that any of the developers is "emotionally invested"
in minipack.

There seems to be a bit of activity in the minipack recently, so possibly they are working on it.

The gd patches you mentioned here:

https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/70

seem to be focussed on building a dll. mxe's main focus (currently) is on static builds, and I'm not sure that the static version of gtk2 really works for non-trivial applications. Things may have changed, but some time ago there was no-one actually using it:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2011-03/msg00002.html

There are plans to eventually support shared library builds but there's no telling when this will happen - any help in that direction is welcome.

You mentioned that it sort of works - I wonder if this is related to the static build. The gd patches can be applied by dropping them in the src/ directory and prefixing each file with gd. If you then go along and try removing the --disable-shared options on all it's dependencies, the build may get a lot further along.