Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Mingw in a production environment

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Mingw in a production environment
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 20:27:47 +0200

Hello Tony,

Thanks for implementing that fallback-mirror solution. This is exactly
what I had in mind, too, but I didn't find the time to make it real,
so kudos to you!

One detail question: How exactly to you update and/or upload new
packages?

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> It's just under 1GB, so if the rest of the internet goes down, it will
> cost 12 cents from S3 or 19 cents from the CDN.

An alternative would be to rent a VServer to a fixed price
(usually about 5-10 EUR / month) which usually have lots
of inclusive traffic. In the unlikely case the traffic exceeds
the limit, it usually doesn't get more expensive, but the
network speed is simply reduced from 100 MBit/s to 10 MBit/s.

I'm not sure whether I'd really prefer this over S3, but I'd
like to point out the alternative.

Also, I'd like to discuss whether we should use such a mirror as
fallback or as a primary source. I think that it is better to use
it only as fallback, but I'd like to hear other opinions, too.

First of all, we include big packages such as Qt which already have
their own mirror system. It makes sense to prefer those over ours
as they probably deal with more traffic and thus have better solutions
at place than we have.

More importantly, however, I think it is very valuable to notice if
some maintainer uploads a newer package version at the same URL. Of
course, this is a very bad practive (they should always release a
new version instead). Nevertheless, in case this happens we almost
certainly want to use the upgraded package instead. We wouldn't
notice if we'd always download from the mirror first.

Regards,