Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OSX SDKs (was Separate build rules)

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OSX SDKs (was Separate build rules)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:49:27 +0200

Hi,

2012/9/12 Tony Theodore <address@hidden>:

> On 06/09/2012, at 6:45 AM, Lothar May <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sorry to bring up this rather old thread... I think I have some bad
>> news with regard to this subject :-(.
>>
>>> Apple recently unbundled the SDKs (and Unix tools) from Xcode [1].
>>> This is a much smaller download, but may be 10.7 only.
>>
>> These "command line code for xcode" are missing important stuff
>> required for cross compiling. Well, at least I could not make it work
>> :-( even libc.dylib seems to be missing.
>>
>> To get the complete SDK which is usable you need to download xcode.
>> With that, I was able to cross compile a "hello world" test
>> application.
>
> Apple being Apple, there's going to be a new problem when you try to
> distribute that application - a new feature called Gatekeeper [1]. It's easy
> enough to work around, but maybe not for average users. Did you find a way to
> sign the application?

No. Actually, I don't (yet) have Mac OS "Mountain Lion"...

There's no code available to share, I just hacked some skripts I found
via google and compiled a hello world app. I'm sorry but I won't
follow it any more, because I use an external vserver as cross
compiling environment, and I have no influence which hardware this
vserver runs on (the provider may change this at any time, and it
surely is not Apple hardware). The xcode license is kind of
ridiculous, but I doubt that Apple will change it just because some
people are willing to cross compile for Mac on different hardware...
For the time being, I'll use my old Mac to create the Mac releases, or
simply don't build for Mac at all.

Regards,
Lothar