Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Mingw in a production environment

From: Daniel Stonier
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Mingw in a production environment
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:23:28 +0900

On 16 September 2012 17:02, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

On 12/09/2012, at 10:53 PM, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 15/08/2012, at 9:17 PM, Daniel Stonier <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> To fix 2) I can't see any other way than to take control of the problem and maintain a server and mirrors where we collect sources. Ultimately any linux platform has to do this for their own packages and I don't consider mxe being that much different from a full distro as it grows. I suspect the best plan would be to contact universities who host various open source repositories and see if they would be willing to host mirrors for mxe as well.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I've set up a micro instance on EC2 that pulls the repo every hour, downloads packages, and syncs them to S3:
>
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/mxe-pkg/

Now added as a fallback if the previous urls fail:

https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/936a7f7b9ae33986a8e060e0541216c4fcd62a2a

This should work okay for future releases, but I'm not sure there's much that can be done for previous releases (short of providing an updated Makefile and downloading old packages).

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded our old tags to use newer package versions/makefiles. Even though there was no testing, we didn't really have another option at the time. From what I gather, locking down development for a particular project on a mxe git commit hash anytime from now should be ok for as long as the associated archives are stored in the mirror. Which I must say is awesome :)