Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] fix for building Qt on Mac with "-arc

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] fix for building Qt on Mac with "-arch windows"
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:41:53 +0200

It's possible that the solution will expose new issues, so please try it
before applying! :)
With those changes, CFG_MAC_ARCHS remains unset, so the build fails
later on with some byte order/endian error messages (log attached).

I'll try to have another look at it tonight, I'm curious to see what
"-arch windows" does on other systems. If it gets silently ignored, we
may just be able to remove the configure check for MAC and let it be
passed along.
Thanks for trying that. I've looked at your log and it looks like you tried
out the Qt 4.7.0-beta1 version. We seem to be making progress.

The block at line 5586 in the configure script is where the logic is wrong
for PLATFORM_MAC:

if [ "$CFG_ENDIAN" = "auto" ]; then
    if [ "$PLATFORM_MAC" = "yes" ]; then
        true #leave as auto
    else
        "$unixtests/endian.test" "$XQMAKESPEC" $OPT_VERBOSE "$relpath"
"$outpath"
        F="$?"
        if [ "$F" -eq 0 ]; then
            CFG_ENDIAN="Q_LITTLE_ENDIAN"
        elif [ "$F" -eq 1 ]; then
            CFG_ENDIAN="Q_BIG_ENDIAN"
        else
            echo
            echo "The target system byte order could not be detected!"
            echo "Turn on verbose messaging (-v) to see the final report."
            echo "You can use the -little-endian or -big-endian switch to"
            echo "$0 to continue."
            exit 101
        fi
    fi
fi

The workaround is probably to add "-little-endian" to the configure options?
Would you mind trying that? If it works, I'll patch the configure script
too.
Adding -little-endian does indeed work and allows the build to
complete and the test program to run.

Excellent. Was that for Qt 4.6.2 or Qt 4.7.0-beta1? Can you check on both?

-Mark