Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] upgrade packages glib gtk

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] upgrade packages glib gtk
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:59:25 +0200

Looking at the releases on gtk.org, it seems they follow the
odd-unstable, even-release numbering system. There's been three
releases of glib 2.25 in the past week - maybe we should revert to the
2.24 series, it's only just come out and they seem to have six month
release cycle?
I have no objection.
Okay, so I reverted your glib upgrade completely:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/9b2c01f9779b

Going back to glib 2.24 causes the configure step to fail for gtk 2.20. Seems to have do with missing gio-windows-2.pc. This file came comes with glib 2.25 but not 2.24. The fatal error is actually "Can't find cairo-pdf.h", but I suspect it stems from the missing gio-windows-2.pc.

Maybe we should go back to gtk 2.19.6 version (before commit 7089cd796690). (Isn't that a development release though?)

By the way, if odd subversion numbers are development and even are stable, then it seems that a stable version of gtk can depend on a development version of glib. This is confirmed here:
http://osdir.com/ml/gtk-list/2010-03/msg00127.html

The simple strategy of "latest stable glib and gtk" seems untenable, since they may be mismatched.

-Mark