Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_Pango in mingw-cross-env

From: David Bruce
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_Pango in mingw-cross-env
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:10:03 -0600

Hi Volker,

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but such a patch is already part
> of mingw-cross-env:
>
>    src/sdl_pango-api-adds.patch
>
> Is there any problem with that patch?

Sorry, the mingw-cross-env installation on this laptop didn't have
that patch yet.  I'm updating (actually installing a new build in the
preferred location /opt/mingw-cross-env) at the moment.

> It would be great if you could perform a similar research on the
> second patch. If that's too much work or if you can't figure it out,
> please tell me. In that case I'll do that research on my own.

The "matrix-declarations..." patch is part of the Fedora rpm package
for sdl_pango, and the author is listed as "thias", who appears to be
the packager.  Not being a Fedora member, I couldn't find any
public-visible info on this person.

The patch itself, however, is extremely simple - it just moves the
offending const declarations/definitions from SDL_Pango.h into
SDL_Pango.c, and replaces them in the header file with "extern const
..." declarations.  Alternatively, we could use this little patch I
wrote that makes them "static const" in the header (if there is
something wrong with that approach, please let me know).

btw, it turns out that the original build of tuxtype with
mingw-cross-env wasn't really using SDL_Pango, because tuxtype relies
on a HAVE_LIBSDL_PANGO autoheader definition to figure out whether it
is using SDL_Pango or SDL_ttf.  PKG_CHECK_MODULES doesn't #define
HAVE_LIBSDL_PANGO, so tuxtype thought it was using SDL_ttf, hence the
earlier errors.  Once I made sure HAVE_LIBSDL_PANGO was getting
defined, I ran into this multiple definition error at the linking
phase.  I mention this in case you try building tuxtype and don't
encounter this error, and wonder what I'm talking about.

Best,

David