Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] GSL on mingw-cross-env

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] GSL on mingw-cross-env
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 00:51:59 +0100

Michel Boaventura <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I help the development of PSPP ( www.gnu.org/software/pspp ) by making
> binaries to windows. I wish to start using mingw-cross-env to do this
> task, and have a few questions.

That's great!

> 1 - I realize that gtk is build with jpeg,tiff and jasper enable, but on
> pspp we only need png. Is there a easy way to disable all this options?

It is possible and easy, but unsupported and not recommended.

Explanation:

Mingw-cross-env is designed for customisability, so feel free to
edit src/gtk.mk and change the ./configure options to fit your
needs. It should be very easy and straight forward. An unreadable
*.mk file is considered to be a bug. :-)

However, this will be your private adventure, because our resources
are limited and we can't support every combination of enabled/disables
depedency libraries for each package. That's why we try to make all
packages feature-complete. Testing "only" for that is already time
consuming enough.

Also, I don't recommend this kind of "code size optimization". The
size of jpeg, tiff and jasper is negligible in comparison to GTK,
so they probably aren't worth the trouble.

If you want impressively small EXE files, you might want to compress
them via UPX. And when you do that, the tiny libraries (jpeg, tiff and
jasper) have an even smaller impact on your final EXE size. So I
recommend to just leave them in.

> 2 - PSPP uses as default arithmetic library GSL.
> ( http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/ ). This library is not part of
> mingw-cross-env, so I've made a makefile of it, trying to follow the
> conventions of mingw-cross-env, and would be very happy if you could put
> it on mingw-cross-env.

Thanks! I'll have a look at it.

Greets,

Administrator