Re: [GMG-Devel] Gitorious aquired by Gitlab

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Gitorious aquired by Gitlab
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 17:00:56 +0200

Hello,

On 2015-03-05
Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> wrote:

> Indeed, we will need to figure out a solution.  I'm bummed out a bit
> that we have to do another move so soon, but at least this one will be
> easier.
>
> I think I can't make the decision on where we move to alone... we need
> community help and input on what to do.
>
>  - Kallithea: I'd love to make a move here, but I think it's not quite
>    ready yet?  But maybe I'm wrong.  We could be an "early adopter" of
>    the project.  It does have inline code reviews and etc, which would
>    be nice.  It doesn't have issue tracking, but we already have our own
>    issue tracker.
>  - Gitlab: "It's mostly free software"(?), but the version on gitlab.com is
>    not, so we'd need a different host.
>  - Notabug.org: https://notabug.org/ Runs on Gogs, a code hosting
>    platform in Go.
>  - Savannah: I'm less than enthused about going the Savannah
>    route... I'm glad that the GNU project provides it, but it
>    looks pretty dated.
>  - Self-hosting git with gitweb and gitosis:
>    This is the most "bare bones" type of hosting, but it requires the
>    most sysadmin-heavy handling of things, and leaves no "easy" way for
>    contributors new to git to make a branch.
>  - Self-hosting with something else:
>    I'd be happy to pool resources with some other projects to handle
>    community-based hosting.
>  - Something else?
>
> What to do?  I'd love feedback/help.
>  - Chris

NotABug is a good free-as-in-freedom alternative: It runs Gogs (free software)
and is dedicated to free software projects. You can talk to the people behind
it in ##freepost @ FreeNode, or at http://freepo.st .

I think the three freedom supporting options are NAB, self-hosting and GNU
Savannah.

By the way I think - not sure - there's a way in Gitolite to allow people to
create new branches. But it's probably too simple to be friendly, and as you
add features it becomes easier to just use one of the bigger systems.

While NotABug currently doesn't have merge requests (you can submit them
"manually" as tickets), I believe GNU MediaGoblin will be very welcome there.
It will hopefully be implemenetd soon (the Gogs suftware itself doesn't have
them yet).

Gogs in general has the advantage of being lightweight - it's written in Go,
i.e. compiled. Especially for self hosting, i.e. small number of repos, it
probably makes a bigger difference (when you have 1000s of repos, then the
difference probably becomes less significant).

Another option that exists: Gitbucket. Written in Scala. They don't provide
hosting; it's just the software.

---
fr33domlover         <http://www.rel4tion.org/people/fr33domlover>
GPG key ID:          63E5E57D (size: 4096)
GPG key fingerprint: 6FEE C222 7323 EF85 A49D  5487 5252 C5C8 63E5 E57D