Re: [GMG-Devel] 0.8.0 freeze!

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] 0.8.0 freeze!
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:16:38 -0600

Jim Campbell writes:

> Hi. Thanks, ayleph!
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 01:37 AM, ayleph wrote:
>> On 03/05/2015 10:38 PM, Jim Campbell wrote:
>> >
>> > I was able to get the most recent stuff running on Centos 7, but had to
>> > do some magical incantations to get things going. I took good notes,
>> > though. Where would be the best spot for my notes?
>>
>> Cool, thanks for helping test the latest code! Here are my suggestions
>> of where to share your experiences.
>>
>> If you encountered an error in the installation, check the MediaGoblin
>> issue tracker [1] to see if someone has reported that error. If not,
>> please open a new ticket for the issue.
>
> The error I encountered after installation involved missing tinymce
> packages/software. I'm not sure if this is a result of my non-Debian
> installation, or a result of a MediaGoblin issue. Unless folks think
> otherwise, I will file a bug on this.
>
> MediaGoblin is up and running, but it doesn't actually display uploaded
> images. Error logs point to missing tinymce javascript.

I don't think tinymce should have anything to do with that... I suspect
it has to do with the paths where your images being served being hooked
up to the web server.

>> If you had to find a workaround for the installation that is specific to
>> your distribution, then I think the MediaGoblin wiki [3] would be a good
>> place to document that. Specifically, the HackingHowto page [4] seems to
>> contain distro-specific knowledge.
>
> One curious bit was that installation required a bunch of npm binaries.
> I didn't expect that. I’m not at my workstation right now, but I think
> it involved extlibs (?). I wound up having to use npm to install bower.
> I thought this was strange.

So, doing the ./configure && make should do this for you, assuming you
have npm installed (it should install bower)... did you use that?  The
deployment docs are different for "latest" than "stable", and the reason
is mostly the change in requirement to run ./configure && make.

  http://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

(I think the requirement to install npm is missing from the docs.  bower
should not be needed, should happen automatically on ./configure &&
make... if that's not true, please report the issue!)

The requirement of npm does seem strange.  We needed to be able to
remove the poor design of checking whole javascript libraries into git.
I was initially against including another language's package manager as
a requirement for building from source, and I began to spec out a plan
so that our tooling could install those packages itself, but I was
convinced by others that this was a bad idea; the plan I was beginning
to make started to look like its own package manager, and using
bower/npm is one less yak for us to shave.

More comments on deployment and docs, but I'll reply to your other email
for that. :)

>> If none of those fit, try us again on IRC. I missed you earlier, but
>> people are in and out at various times.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.mediagoblin.org/
>> [2] http://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>> [3] https://wiki.mediagoblin.org/
>> [4] https://wiki.mediagoblin.org/HackingHowto
>

> Thanks for the clear notes about what options are available to give
> feedback!
>
> Jim

Thanks both Jim, ayleph :)