Re: [GMG-Devel] 0.8.0 freeze!

From: Jim Campbell
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] 0.8.0 freeze!
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 09:41:52 -0600

Hi. Thanks, ayleph!

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 01:37 AM, ayleph wrote:
> On 03/05/2015 10:38 PM, Jim Campbell wrote:
> >
> > I was able to get the most recent stuff running on Centos 7, but had to
> > do some magical incantations to get things going. I took good notes,
> > though. Where would be the best spot for my notes?
>
> Cool, thanks for helping test the latest code! Here are my suggestions
> of where to share your experiences.
>
> If you encountered an error in the installation, check the MediaGoblin
> issue tracker [1] to see if someone has reported that error. If not,
> please open a new ticket for the issue.

The error I encountered after installation involved missing tinymce
packages/software. I'm not sure if this is a result of my non-Debian
installation, or a result of a MediaGoblin issue. Unless folks think
otherwise, I will file a bug on this.

MediaGoblin is up and running, but it doesn't actually display uploaded
images. Error logs point to missing tinymce javascript.

> If you ran into an issue due to lack of documentation which you think is
> a generic MediaGoblin installation issue (rather than specific to your
> distribution), check against the latest MediaGoblin documentation [2] to
> see if it's covered there. If not, please open a new ticket on the
> MediaGoblin issue tracker [1] and set Component to "documentation."

I started replying to this note, but my note became more of an issue
about docs, so I'll send that as a separate email.

> If you had to find a workaround for the installation that is specific to
> your distribution, then I think the MediaGoblin wiki [3] would be a good
> place to document that. Specifically, the HackingHowto page [4] seems to
> contain distro-specific knowledge.

One curious bit was that installation required a bunch of npm binaries.
I didn't expect that. I’m not at my workstation right now, but I think
it involved extlibs (?). I wound up having to use npm to install bower.
I thought this was strange.

> If none of those fit, try us again on IRC. I missed you earlier, but
> people are in and out at various times.
>
> [1] https://issues.mediagoblin.org/
> [2] http://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> [3] https://wiki.mediagoblin.org/
> [4] https://wiki.mediagoblin.org/HackingHowto

Thanks for the clear notes about what options are available to give
feedback!

Jim