Re: [GMG-Devel] What does it do?

From: Laura Arjona
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] What does it do?
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 21:02:39 +0200

Hi all
Following Joar's example, below you can find some braindump from the
user's / sysadmin's perspectives.

I realized that in mediagoblin.org you can find 3 blocks:
* Run it
* Use it
* Join us

Shouldn't it be Use it, Run it, Join us? I know that you devs and
hackers began all this, but I like to think that the project now is
"more mainstream" :)

On the other side, "Join us" links to join.html. Maybe creating a page
for  "Use it" and other page with "Run it" may help? This is how I
focused my "braindump" below, but of course it's only a suggestion.

I'll try to attend the monthly meeting, but I'm not sure that I can,
so I feel shy to ask to put this "website rethinking" in the agenda.
During this summer I can put workforce in this (the website), but I
have no experience in website design and specially in the "aesthetic
part" I am terrible... #iloveplaintext So maybe I can be at other
people's command?
Cheers!
Laura Arjona

== BEGIN BRAINDUMP ========================================

What is Mediagoblin

* Use it! Visiting and Publishing in Mediagoblin sites
* Run it! Setting up your Mediagoblin site
* Join us! Hacking and improving Mediagoblin

* Use it! Visiting and Publishing in Mediagoblin sites

A site running Mediagoblin is a place where you can find media content
of many types: videos, music, photos, PDF documents, 3D schemas...
You can browse content by author, collection, tags.. and display it
inside the browser. You can download the original files (yes,
fullsize!) and each media content clearly shows its license so you can
be sure what you can do with it. You can also write comments about
each content starting or joining the conversation :)

Some Mediagoblin sites allow you to create an account and publish your
own content in an easy way.

Why publishing my stuff in a Mediagoblin site?

* All your content in one place
It's possible to publish different types of media content in the same
place. For example, a teacher may publish the PDF of his research
papers, along with the slides that she used to present the paper in a
conference, along with the video of that presentation. A 3D designer
may publish her 3d schemas along with some photos of the physical
prototype, a video explaining how it works... Musicians can publish
their lyrics or chords together with their audio tracks and concert
videos, etc.

* Free software
The Mediagoblin software has a free software license. This means that
the individual, organization or company that hosts a Mediagoblin site
publishes the source code, so you (or anybody) can audit that the site
really does what they say that it does with your stuff. 'Free
software' also means that you can always get a copy of the software
and setup a website that looks and works the same (or you can hire
somebody to set it up for you).

* Take our tour and learn other advantages of using Mediagoblin!!

* Or visit some Mediagoblin sites:
+ Public sites (where you can sign up and publish your content)
+ Personal sites (people that have setup a Mediagoblin site by themselves)

* Run it! Setting up your Mediagoblin site

Mediagoblin is free software! You can download and setup your own
site, so your data is under your control: you decide how your site
looks and works, the filesize limitations, etc. Mediagoblin supports
many content types (audio, video, text, 3D schemas, PDF, Open
Documents, and more coming!).
It offers simplicity for the users to upload their stuff, while not
needing too much design, configuration, or sysadmin work.

A Mediagoblin site does not have many hardware or system requirements
to run. It is designed to scale up and down. It is also designed to
support federation in a near future, so your instance can communicate
with other and your users don't need to create accounts in every
place.

Check out our step-by-step guide to installing MediaGoblin on your own
server or learn more about its architecture (link to Joar's writing).

You'll be not alone building and maintaining your MediaGoblin site! A
vibrant and friendly community of people brings help, support, recipes
etc. and you an also contribute your experience!

* Join us! Hacking and improving Mediagoblin
same as in mediagoblin.org