Re: [GMG-Devel] What does it do?

From: Joar Wandborg
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] What does it do?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 12:54:57 +0200

MediaGoblin is a python WSGI application and an AMQP task processor.

# The WSGI application...

runs as one or several processes and can be coupled with an HTTP server either directly or via an intermediate FCGI layer.

The WSGI application serves dynamic content over HTTP and is backed by any SQL server supported by SQLAlchemy in theory, only PostgreSQL and SQLite can be verified to work out of the box by me personally.

The content types currently supported, off the top of my head: video, audio, images, 3D models, 'ASCII'/unicode art.

# The AMQP task processor

can be launched in two ways: Either inside the WSGI application, where it will process all tasks synchronously, thus blocking the WSGI application process and/or thread until processing and saving of processed files are finished - Or as a separate process, fetching tasks to process from an intermediate entity (the broker).

The task processor processes media such as images, video, audio, 3D models and creates web-compatible files that are shown on the detail page for the content.

--

I started writing this up on my cellphone while commuting. I thought it might be good to finish it. Fixes, additions and elaborations are welcome. Feels a bit like it should be on the wikipedia page but not perhaps to this detail. One flaw is that I very much focused on the application structure whereas I almost completely left out any information usable for 'users'.