Re: running with -jN on Windows

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: running with -jN on Windows
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 03:11:46 -0500

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  >> From: Alessandro Vesely <address@hidden>
  >> Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:26:49 +0100
  >>
  >> One possibility is to check if it is "cmd.exe" and not "command.com".

  ez> Yes, but what feature of cmd.exe do we need for -j, and why?  I
  ez> need to know this in order to understand the problem and the
  ez> solution, and in order to test the patched Make.

  ez> KJKHyperion says we need the caret-escaping, but it's not clear to me
  ez> at all why this would allow -j.

The critical thing that is needed from the shell to allow -jN to work is
that it can be invoked with open file descriptors (a pipe in this case)
and that it can further pass those open file descriptors to programs it
invokes, unmolested.

As far as I know that's all you need from the shell to get -jN working.
I don't know what this means in the context of any temporary batch file
creation or other special things that happen on Windows systems.