Re: running with -jN on Windows

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: running with -jN on Windows
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:51:45 -0500

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  >> As far as I know that's all you need from the shell to get -jN working.

  ez> Why ``from the shell''? is it because the shell might sometimes be
  ez> used for command invocation (the ``slow'' method)? or for some
  ez> other reasons, which are valid in the ``fast'' method as well?

The shell (at least in UNIX) is only used in the slow path.  The fast
path does a direct exec() (or CreateProcess() in Windows?)  I'm assuming
that direct invocation preserves pipes.

I just mean that there are other requirements on the operating system
itself, such as proper support for pipes, signal handling, etc.

But I think the only requirements on the shell are that it not interfere
with the pipes that the parent make passes to its child makes.

  ez> Anyway, if file handle inheritance is the only requirement on
  ez> Posix systems that allows -jN, then the proposed patch does
  ez> nothing in this area on Windows.  I guess it is dealing with some
  ez> Windows-specific aspect of Make, perhaps the invocation via batch
  ez> files.

Yes, that might be an issue.