lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] ..on SOCKS5 support

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ..on SOCKS5 support
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 15:59:41 -0400

On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 08:51:26PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was forced to use lynx via SOCKS5 proxy, which i never did
> before.  To my surprise that did not work, it needs an additional
> library.  That increased the surprise, because all one needs for
> SOCKS5 support, even including the DNS lookup, is to hook
> connect(2) -- that is how i did it, as easy as [1].  And in fact

That's changed over time - there's no standard/portable implementation
of socks5, and (the last time I looked...) none of the extent versions
corresponded to what lynx worked with long ago :-)

> i became inspired by Gaetan Bisson's usocks-06.c, which can be
> used via $LD_PRELOAD, and which got me going.  I will attach it.
>
> Wouldn't it be much nicer if there would be a -socks=[HOST]:PORT
> command line argument and a simple, always compiled in, wrapper
> around connect, just the way i do it (in [1])?

that's a thought...

> Just in case i find time and the mentioned way seems interesting,
> is there somewhere the current development code can be loaded
> from?
>
>   [1] https://git.sdaoden.eu/cgit/s-nail.git/tree/src/mx/net-socket.c#n485

I put snapshots here, as I make development changes:

        https://github.com/ThomasDickey/lynx-snapshots

but don't accept pull-requests -- see

        https://invisible-island.net/personal/git-exports.html

--