lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Fwd: two lynx issues: lynx.isc.org appears to be down, mi

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Fwd: two lynx issues: lynx.isc.org appears to be down, mirror site mistake
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 07:37:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Jonathan Oksman wrote:

Hello,

I was doing some updates on a local linux machine and went to get a
fresh copy of lynx.  I have been unable to reach the site content at
lynx.isc.org.  I decided to try and debug whether it was my internet
flaking out, and tried from an alternate internet source and could
still not make a connection.

It appears from a traceroute that everything reaches isc.org alright.
From my position the error seems to be somewhere in between:

isc.org domain is okay, but the lynx.isc.org machine went down sometime in the past couple of days. (I've been checking it 3-4 times a week). The machine is on their site somewhere; I emailed my contact there yesterday afternoon to see what's wrong.

int-0-0-1-0.r1.sql1.isc.org [149.20.65.10]  and  lynx.isc.org [149.20.54.242].

After some careful searches I was able to find a mirror site at:
http://artfiles.org/lynx.isc.org/

It claims to have updated yesterday ("last mirrored: Fri Oct 14
20:00:22 CEST 2011"), so I assume the inability to connect to
lynx.isc.org is quite recent.

ok.  I was very busy with $dayjob for a couple of days, so the actual
time was unclear.

I noticed something else strange while validating the version I was
trying to download (the most recent 2.8.7 archive).  Here are the
results of md5sum on the three files I grabbed from the mirror, which
indicates to me that the file "lynx2.8.7.tar.bz2" is referring to
rel.1 instead of rel.2.

493af4c77ef6761e3f0157cd1be033a0 *lynx2.8.7.tar.bz2
493af4c77ef6761e3f0157cd1be033a0 *lynx2.8.7rel.1.tar.bz2
cb936aef812e4e463ab86cbbe14d4db9 *lynx2.8.7rel.2.tar.bz2

that might be just my error in setting up the site.

A little more searching dug up this thread from the mailing list:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2011-06/msg00003.html
So it would seem that this issue has managed to creep up again somehow.

probably a different cause.  lynx.isc.org used to be an alias which
pointed into a shared server.  The guy at ISC built a new server
(whether physical or virtual I don't know), which is separate.
I setup the web- and ftp-services on that server, and aside from
script-kiddies, it's been low-maintainance.

In addition to the above, the email address listed at lynx.browser.org
(address@hidden) also appears to be experiencing technical
difficulties as the provider has rejected this message originally
aimed at that address.  the browser.org site itself appears to be in
tact.

lynx.browser.org is someone else (I've no control over that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net