lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:57:46 -0400 (EDT)

980729 Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> Below is the Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval evaluation for Lynx.
> Unfortunately, Lynx does very bad.  Perhaps I misunderstood Lynx.

i'ld say you do: see below.

> If that's the case, chances will be big that new users will too.

we've rarely found new users react in that way;
many love Lynx, but again: see below.

> I'd like to have your opinion/comments on this evaluation
> before it goes final and will appear on the GNKSA webpage.

i'm sure we all appreciate your good manners in asking for our response.

> More information about the GNKSA is at http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/

i had a quick look at your site & it says upfront it's about newsreaders.
while Lynx can be used as a newsreader, that is not its main function:
its strengths are in accessing Internet sites using eg HTTP or FTP
or in navigating local files or creating new WWW sites.
ALL your criticisms -- naturally enough -- relate to newsreading.

Lynx is developed by an international community of volunteers,
so there's no-one officially in charge of it:
lynx-dev is a model of constructive anarchy;
others will probably offer comments, so you'll have to judge the consensus.
i'ld say you should make it quite clear in your site
that your strictures about Lynx relate SOLELY to its use as a newsreader
& have nothing to do with its more usual use to surf the Internet.