lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:12:07 -0400

1. is there a C level toolkit for writing GNKSA approved news readers?  That
would certainly make it easier for someone to come along with the patches
to improve lynx.

2. Of the failures, the following to me are the most 'urgent' of the ones
with which to deal:

Regarding the strict GNKSA requirements (MUSTs), Lynx 2.8rel.2
FAILS on the following points:

    6a   Does not handle Followup-To: poster correctly
    7a   Does not include MsgID of original article as the last reference
    7b   Fails to include the last three references from the original
    11a  Does not require a non-empty, user-specified subject
    11b  Will not refuse to post articles without subject
    12a  May not provide a syntactically correct From-address
    12b  Fails to refuse to post messages with syntactically incorrect From:
    16a  Does not warn when posting an empty article
    16c  Does not warn when posting quoted text only

To do these, it will reguire new code to parse the header of a usenet message
into an array appropriately.  If that one routine were available, I believe
that a number of features would be possible.