lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV HTTPS access

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HTTPS access
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:09:23 +0100 (BST)

> Why I can't access https URL address ? Whenever I Go to

Read the FAQ.  It tells you how to use Lynx with https, if you qualify
to do so (you must have permanent residency status in the USA, or
the equivalent in Canada).

Also look at the mailing list archive, I answered this one only a couple
of days ago.

Basically the reasons are:

- software patents, and the fact that the US permits them;

- the Gnu General Public licence and its stance on such patents;

- encryption is an armament under US law and is subject to export controls.

(If you are outside of the USA, and you don't use a USA ISP in the process of
obtaining it, someone will eventually, I'm sure, develop SSL support for
Lynx and a version of Lynx which may not be distributed to the USA.  If you
are a temporary US resident, there is probably nothing you can do legally.)
;
;